There are many options to help treat unscheduled and annoying bleeding. Most women tolerate this inconvenience for a long time before they finally seek help.
A thorough evaluation may include an ultrasound, labs and possibly a biopsy of the uterus, depending on age and risk factors, to assist in identifying an obvious cause.
The treatment will be tailored to the patient based on their age, diagnosis, as well as the desire to have additional children.
The treatment options may include:
- Medications (oral contraceptives, Depo Provera, etc.)
- The Mirena Intrauterine Device (Levonorgestrel)
- Endometrial ablation –
- This is an outpatient procedure that destroys the lining of the uterus to prevent heavy bleeding.
- It does not involve removal of the uterus or affect a woman’s hormone levels.
- ￼Or ultimately, a hysterectomy (surgical removal of the uterus).
Are You Experiencing Irregular or Heavy Periods?
If you are experiencing irregular or heavy periods and are looking for help, please contact us to schedule a meeting with one of our great gynecologists in Colorado Springs or Monument.